Jellyfish have always inspired people with their unusual appearance, as if they’re from outer space. They exist from hundreds to thousands of species with unique shapes and features but all of them fascinate us.
A jellyfish tattoo is a non-trivial design not for everyone. However, if you’re keen on unusual but meaningful ideas – welcome to our guide! In our article, we’ve gathered 50+ of the most exciting jellyfish tattoo designs worthy of your attention.
The jellyfish doesn’t actively more anywhere – it just moves with the tides. Is that what man is? Man’s just the jellyfish: stuff happens to you, and you get twisted in different directions.
– Andrew Buchan
Jellyfish Tattoo Meaning
Jellyfish as a creature symbolizes different things. Therefore, such meanings can be used for your tattoo to make it more intimate.
- Transformation and rebirth. Transdifferentiation is the process by which some species of jellyfish can return to an earlier stage in their life cycle. Thus, for a person, it means personal growth and overcoming obstacles.
- Flexibility and adaptability. Jellyfish are famous for their ability to adapt to environmental changes. Therefore, for a person, this tattoo can symbolize the capability to face life challenges.
- Grace and elegance. Jellyfish look very fascinating, and their movements are light and smooth.
- Mystery. There are still many unexplored species of jellyfishes living in the oceans and seas. Therefore, such a tattoo is perfect for those who want to keep the mystery.
- Tranquility. The movements of jellyfish are smooth and calm, which causes peace. For ink lovers, a jellyfish tattoo means that their ability to maintain composure even in challenging situations.
Why Do People Get Jellyfish Tattoos?
Reasons why people get jellyfish tattoos can be many. However, we’ve underlined the most important ones based on personal experience and ink lovers expertise.
- Symbolism. We associate jellyfish with various qualities such as flexibility, adaptability, and transformation. Therefore, for ink lovers who get such a tattoo, it means the desire to evolve, adapt, and overcome challenges in life.
- Aesthetics. Jellyfishes are beautiful and bewitching, so people get such designs to highlight their appearance.
- Connection with the ocean. Jellyfish reflect the spirit of sea travel, so people who love the sea and ocean get such designs.
50+ Unique and Stylish Jellyfish Tattoo Ideas
A jellyfish tattoo is a versatile design that has many meanings. Therefore, everyone can choose the most suitable for their character. To do this, we have gathered 50+ unique designs, which you can check out below.
However, we understand that choosing one design can be difficult. Therefore, we also indicated the features of tattoo styles and the meaning that each additional element brings to the overall plot.
Do you like watercolor drawings? Then, you should definitely explore watercolor jellyfish tattoos, which have the following meanings:
- 🎨 Soft and smooth lines that look like brush strokes;
- 🎨 Smooth transitions from one color to another;
- 🎨 Absence of fatty contours;
- 🎨 Splashes and dabs of color provide a sense of texture.
Do you want to get a small but detailed jellyfish tattoo? Then, you should get acquainted with fineline jellyfish tattoos. This style has the following features:
- ▽ The use of thin lines that create a clear but gentle contour;
- ▽ Absence of thick lines;
- ▽ Focus on small design details;
- ▽ They require the precision and professionalism of the tattoo master.
The new school jellyfish tattoo is the best choice for those who want a bright and fun comic book-style tattoo. Also, this style has the following features:
- 🟦 Bright and saturated colors;
- 🟦 Thick and prominent contours;
- 🟦 Expression and exaggeration;
- 🟦 Use of shadows, transitions, and gradients;
- 🟦 Use of surreal elements;
- 🟦 Adding elements such as explosions, splashes, bubbles, space elements, etc.
- 🟦 Creative interpretation of objects and characters.
The American traditional style is perhaps the most recognizable one. Jellyfish tattoo will have the following distinctive features by which it’s easy to recognize it:
- 🇺🇸 Clear and thick contour lines;
- 🇺🇸 Limited color palette: red, blue, yellow, and green;
- 🇺🇸 Strict symmetry and balance of the composition, with a central focus and well-defined elements;
- 🇺🇸 Lack of tonal transitions and complex details.
Black & Gray
The black and gray jellyfish tattoo is elegant and sophisticated. Moreover, it’s related to the realistic tattoo style, which means that the tattoo master can implement very detailed design with the following features:
- ☯︎ Use only black and gray shades;
- ☯︎ Creating a three-dimensional pattern using various shades of gray and clear contrast;
- ☯︎ Realistic approach due to the implementation of light and shade.
A geometric jellyfish tattoo is the best choice for those who love clarity and precision. If you are a perfectionist, then this is for you! This style has the following features:
- ▷ Use of geometric shapes: lines, dots, circles, triangles, squares, and polygons;
- ▷ Use of mandalas, fractals, and geometric grids;
- ▷ Symmetry and balance;
- ▷ Use of clear lines;
- ▷ Using negative spaceNegative space is a void or unfilled area in a tattoo, which is actively used in design to create contrast and emphasize positive elements, giving them special expressiveness and depth. and filling space between geometric elements.
Small and Simple
Do you want a discreet and unobtrusive but not a detailed design? Then, the small and simple jellyfish tattoo works for you. Although this is a fairly simple style, it also has distinctive features:
- | Use of compact and small designs;
- | Use of a minimalistic approach and a limited number of colors;
- | Simple shapes and lines;
- | Fast and inexpensive implementation (from four times cheaper than other tattoos).
Jellyfish in the Galaxy
Jellyfish are often compared to alien creatures due to their unusual appearance. Therefore, a jellyfish tattoo design in the Galaxy is the most appropriate one. Such an idea can have the following meanings:
- 🪐 Mysticism and mystery;
- 🪐 The internal connection with the cosmos;
- 🪐 The balance between beauty and danger;
- 🪐 Reflection of eternity and temporality;
- 🪐 The uniqueness and individuality of each star and galaxy, as well as each person.
Do you like SpongeBob? Do you want to reflect lightness and serenity in your tattoo? Then you can choose SpongeBob’s jellyfish tattoo. It’s a simple and cheerful design that will be a great addition to your style.
Among all the jellyfish tattoos, it is worth noting the drawings with flowers separately. They blend harmoniously with the design and replace the tentacles, making the composition more sophisticated.
A jellyfish tattoo with flowers has the following meanings:
- 🌺 Beauty and aesthetics;
- 🌺 Life force;
- 🌺 Symbol of nature and the ocean;
- 🌺 Refraction of light and emotions;
- 🌺 Fragility and vulnerability;
- 🌺 Growth and overcoming difficulties;
- 🌺 Individuality and uniqueness;
- 🌺 Sensuality and mysticism.
Box jellyfish are among the most dangerous in the world because their venom poses a danger to victims. However, a box jellyfish tattoo does not mean danger, but the following:
- Uniqueness. Box jellyfish are different from their relatives.
- Versatility. Such a tattoo indicates many aspects and qualities of a person that are not always visible on the surface.
- Protection. Such a tattoo means the ability to repel external threats.
Lion’s Mane Jellyfish
Distinctive features of the lion’s mane jellyfish are an expressive mane and long tentacles. Such a design may have the following meanings:
- Strength and power. The lion’s mane of a jellyfish symbolizes greatness, strength, and superiority.
- Wisdom and longevity. The lion’s mane jellyfish is one of the longest-living organisms in the ocean.
- Individuality. This design emphasizes personality because the lion’s mane jellyfish has a unique look.
Where To Get a Jellyfish Tattoo?
Choosing a place for a tattoo is a crucial step, which depends mainly on your wishes. Next, we’ve gathered a table with the three most popular tattoo placements, the level of pain from the process, and the benefits.
Part of the bodyDesignPain levelBenefits LegLow to mid- The tattoo on the outside of the thigh and calves hardly hurts you; – You can easily hide or show a tattoo on your leg by wearing clothing that covers the area if you need to; – Tattoos on the legs, if properly cared for, can retain their brightness and beauty for a long time; – Leg tattoos can create motion and illusion effects when walking or moving. ArmLow to mid- Arms are one of the most visible parts of the body, so a tattoo on the arm can serve as a way to express yourself and attract attention; – Arm tattoos are easier to care for than others because you can easily reach them; – The skin on the arms quickly regenerates because there are a lot of vessels that accelerate the regeneration process. ChestMid- A chest tattoo can be an intimate expression of your personality, ideals, or meaningful symbols for you; – A tattoo on the chest can create a mysterious and intriguing effect when it becomes visible only at certain moments; – The chest is a symmetrical and wide surface for implementing fabulous designs (e.g., a geometric jellyfish tattoo).
You can get a jellyfish tattoo in a variety of designs, from simple and small to complex new school abstract ideas. Moreover, it has many meanings that emphasize your uniqueness and certain character traits. So if you want a unique, eye-catching, and meaningful design, a jellyfish tattoo is the perfect solution!
P.S: If you haven’t decided on the design yet, we suggest you return to the beginning of the article and once again get acquainted with 50+ unique jellyfish tattoos for her and him.
A jellyfish is little more than a pulsating bell, a tassel of training tentacles, and a single digestive opening through which it both eats and excretes.
– Jeffrey Kluger