I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please click my Disclosure Policy to learn more
The thought of black paint may seem quite frightening to many people. You may think shades of black seem dark and unwelcoming. Consequently, this is so far from the truth. When used correctly, black paint colors can feel inviting, spacious, and not to mention sophisticated.
Welcome back! Today is going to be a frightening one.
With Halloween right around the corner, for this post, I wanted to play into the holiday a bit and make this post somewhat relatable. I guess as relatable as paint colors can be to Halloween. But you know dark, creepy, and mysterious. Am I grasping at straws here?
Regardless, today’s post is all about the best black paint colors!
Black is such a striking hue and shouldn’t be discounted because it is seemingly too dark.
I don’t want you to be afraid to decorate with black so I’m sharing the best black paint colors to use for any and all of your projects.
THE BEST BLACK PAINT COLORS
These are the best black paint colors from Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams.
If you want a superbly chic and utterly moody paint color, look no further. These shades of black are the best of the best and designer approved.
BENJAMIN MOORE BLACK SATIN 2131-10
BENJAMIN MOORE OYNX 2133-10
SHERWIN WILLIAMS CAVIAR SW 6990
SHERWIN WILLIAMS BLACK MAGIC SW 6991
SHERWIN WILLIAMS TRICORN BLACK SW 6258
BENJAMIN MOORE BLACK 2132-10
SHERWIN WILLIAMS IRON ORE SW 7069
SHERWIN WILLIAMS BLACK OF NIGHT SW 6991
SHERWIN WILLIAMS BLACK FOX SW 7020
SHERWIN WILLIAMS AFTER THE STORM SW 6985
BENJAMIN MOORE WROUGHT IRON 2124-10
BENJAMIN MOORE BLACK BEAUTY 2128-10
BENJAMIN MOORE RACCOON FUR 2126-20
BENJAMIN MOORE SOOT 2129-20
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO SAMPLE BLACK PAINT COLORS?
Oh, I am so glad you asked!
You know how I feel about testing paint samples. You have to do it! Not sampling paint colors is one of the BIGGEST painting mistakes you can make. Never skip it!
In terms of sampling black paint colors, I prefer using Sampilze.
WHAT IS THE TRUEST BLACK PAINT COLOR?
There are two colors on this list that are the truest black paint colors.
- Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black
- Benjamin Moore Black
These 2 are the closest to true black paint colors. Going solely off of spectral data, both Benjamin Moore Black and Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black are pretty dang close to a no-nonsense black paint color. They are, in my eyes black.
TRICORN BLACK VS. BLACK MAGIC
I believe that comparing paint colors is always helpful when you are trying to find a color for your home. It also helps you recognize the color’s undertones.
Just for fun, let’s see how Tricorn Black and Black Magic compare to one another.
- Tricorn Black comes from the purple/blue hue family, whereas Black Magic’s hue family is in the middle of red and red/purple.
- Black Magic is a hint lighter.
- Tricorn Black is more of a true black in comparison.
- Black Magic is a softer warm black paint color
- Tricorn is the more popular color.
Honestly, both these colors are great black options. They are quite similar yet there are a few things that separate them from one another. I don’t think one is better than the other. I say if you want a true black go with Tricorn Black. If you want a slightly softer black, Black Magic is for you.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS BEFORE YOU START PAINTING! GET THE PAINT TOOLS THE PROS USE!
THE BEST BLACK PAINT FOR FRONT DOORS
One of the best places you can use a black paint color is on the front door. Black is a versatile paint color that complements just about any color. And when it comes to the exterior of a home it can sometimes be tricky to find a front door color to match the existing exterior. This is why choosing to paint your front door black is a fantastic option. Just look how beautiful Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black looks on this front door.
Honestly, All these colors would be amazing options for your front door, however, there are 2 popular ones that tend to win most people over.
- Black Satin – Sherwin Willims
- Black Beauty – Benjamin Moore
When it comes to the actual type of paint to be used on the front door, the best is Sherwin Williams Emerald Exterior Acrylic Latex Paint and Benjamin Moore Aura Grand Entrance.
RECAP – THE BEST BLACK PAINT COLORS
As always. let’s do a quick recap of the best black paint colors
- BENJAMIN MOORE BLACK SATIN 2131-10
- BENJAMIN MOORE OYNX 2133-10
- SHERWIN WILLIAMS CAVIAR SW 6990
- SHERWIN WILLIAMS BLACK MAGIC SW 6991
- BENJAMIN MOORE BLACK 2132-10
- SHERWIN WILLIAMS TRICORN BLACK SW 6258
- SHERWIN WILLIAMS IRON ORE SW 7069
- SHERWIN WILLIAMS BLACK OF NIGHT SW 6991
- SHERWIN WILLIAMS BLACK FOX SW 7020
- SHERWIN WILLIAMS AFTER THE STORM SW 6985
- BENJAMIN MOORE WROUGHT IRON 2124-10
- BENJAMIN MOORE BLACK BEAUTY 2128-10
- BENJAMIN MOORE RACCOON FUR 2126-20
- BENJAMIN MOORE SOOT 2129-20
FINAL THOUGHTS – THE BEST BLACK PAINT COLORS
Moody, dark, dramatic, bold, full-bodied, classic, and timeless, are all terms that can be used to describe black paint colors.
Black is a color that meshes well with any decor style, no matter what it is. It’s a classic color that will stand the test of time.
Overall, every color on this list is amazing. Whether you are looking for a softer black like Black Satin or an off-black like Iron Ore, one will surely fit the bill. I truly believe you can not go wrong with any black paint color.
Embrace the dark side and explore the wonderful world of black paint colors.
Don’t start painting until you have the right tools!SHOP MUST HAVE PAINTING TOOLS
- Collingwood Paint Color Review
- BM Moonshine an Amazing Cool-Toned Gray
- SW Silverpointe Review
- A Gorgeous Green- BM Caldwell Green
- The Neutral Paint Color of your Dreams
- Amazing Paint Colors For Cabinets
- A Favorite Gray- SW Dovetail
- Sherwin Williams Dorian Gray
- Kilim Beige Review
- Sherwin Williams City Loft
- Shoji White – Sherwin Williams
- Benjamin Moore Soft Chamois
- SW Lazy Gray Color Review
- Sherwin Williams Creamy